Followers

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Peanut Butter Balls

It has been raining for 4 days...and not just sprinkling; Thursday it rained steadily, Friday, it pored, yesterday and today it has been steadily raining to. And the weather man is predicting it will be the same until Wednesday...time to send out the duckies!!


Monday to Friday rain is not so bad. My office is internal, i can't see it the 8 hours i am in there unless i poke my head into someone's office. But my apartment has huge windows on the front, great for sunny days...not so much for rainy ones. So this morning, i got tired of seeing it. I kept the curtains closed, and even though it is way to early, I put on a Christmas CD. Not to loud though, new neighbors moved into the other apartment on this floor just last weekend; no sense in making them think i am to weird before we even get to know each other! :-) Into the kitchen i went. The kitchen has only a skylight, no windows, perfect for ignoring the rain.

I made a sweet bread, i will post that tomorrow after it has proper time to cool and be tested. And one of my favorite Christmas memories, Mom's peanut butter balls. The recipe originally came from an old cookbook. Not sure which, though, my mom has a stack!

Peanut Butter Balls

3/4 cup peanut butter.
1 cup icing sugar.
1/2 cup cherries, cut up.
1 tsp vanilla.
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional).
1 cup coconut, for rolling.

Shape into balls and roll in coconut. Keep frozen or refrigerated in covered container.


It looks really dry, but once you start rolling them, the juice of the cherries comes out and it makes it a bit more moist. These are one of the things i loved about Christmas, because is the only time of year that my Mom makes them. I guess i am kind of getting into the same habit, because i don't think i have made them since last Christmas. 

The dough does not come together with just a spoon, you have to get your hands in there and mash it around. This is a great recipe for kids, super easy to make. I have been helping make them as long as i can remember!


I store these in an empty ice cream container, layered between wax paper cut to fit, in the freezer. They thaw out in no time. Some, like my Dad and my beau, don't even bother letting them thaw! Out of the freezer and into the mouth, a bite sized morsel! 

I am thinking of going for a drive to my parents' house this afternoon, i have to go get my winter tires on my car before the snow flies, they are stored back on the farm! With the time change it is only 1, although it feels later, and the day seems so long. I am just waiting to see if i have company to go along to the country. If not, i might put the drive off until Thursday when i am off and bake some more today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment