Followers

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Orange Bread

Normally i would not make two posts in one day, but this morning's had been meant for last night, so it does not count :-)


I made this because i had an orange left after needing the zest for the fudge i made last night (got more chocolate, made another batch, turned out much better!). I used my lemon bread recipe for this one. At Thanksgiving, an aunt had told me how she had once used an orange instead of lemon for a bread, so i decided to give it a whirl.


Lemon / Orange Bread


1 cup sugar
6 Tbsp melted butter (or room temp margarine)
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 + 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt  
grated rind of 1 lemon or orange

Put in greased pan and let rise for 20 minutes. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Mix juice of 1/2 lemon (or orange) with 3 Tbsp sugar and spread over top when removing from oven.


Since it is still to warm to slice, and i want to keep it for Christmas, i took a pinch from the edge that the paper had torn off, it is yummy! A light orange taste, not to strong. There was a lot more juice in an orange than a lemon, so as soon as i got the juice on the top, it soaked through the waxed paper. I had a hard time getting it out of the pan! As soon as i grabbed the edges of the paper it tore, thus the mess in the picture. 



 Tonight was the Saint John Santa Clause parade, so while my bread cooled, i froze on the back deck!! I am lucky i did not have to stand on the street and freeze. 20 minutes into the parade, i came in. I am officially a wuss...it is cold tonight!! But, i was able to watch the rest from the window. I could not get many good pictures because i was so far away (about a block up from the street it was on) . In fact, this is the best and it was an accident!! 


Trippy. 

So, Happy early Christmas. Santa is in town now, i'd best be good! Time to start decorating!! 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds super easy and super tasty! I might make this today sometime, I have everything for it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're welcome! It is an easy recipe, i have been making it since i was a kid, it is one of my mom's

    ReplyDelete