Followers

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Homemade Apple Sauce.

I found some leftover apples in my fridge, and i had a couple leftover mason jars from my dill pickle adventure, so i decided to make some apple sauce. I didn't just come up with a brain wave for apple sauce, rather i was trying to re-create something i got at a craft sale a couple weeks ago. It is a little bottle called Apple Pie in a jar, it is basically thick apple sauce with dried cranberries in it, and i have been eating a teaspoonful stirred into my yogurt each morning. But, the jar is getting low, so i decided to go on my own apple trials.


I started out with an internet search. Most of the recipes had a lot in common. Cinnamon, sugar, water, lemon juice, and of course, apples. So from there i mixed my own concoction. 


Into my pot, i chopped and peeled about a bag of apples. I used what i had left over and half of another bag. I put in 1/8 of a cup of each brown and white sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 cup water, the juice from a whole lemon, and a sprinkle of nutmeg; just for kicks. I boiled this mixture for about half an hour, stirring every 5 minutes or so. I figured if it ended up needing extra sugar at the end, i could add it then. 

Meanwhile, i washed 4 mason jars and their screw top rings. I put the oven on to 200 F, when it was heated it off and stuck my jars in to sterilize. 


After half an hour of cooking, i got this lumpy apple concoction. I let it cool about 5 minutes, and then gave my immersion blender a whirl through it. While it cooled, i put a bit of water on to boil. When it was just starting to boil, i poured some over my four pop caps in a bowl, to soften the rubber so i can get a good seal.



There does not seem to be much difference in the before and after photos of the blender process, but there was a major difference. After blending, i used a soup ladle to pour it into jars. I only ended up with 2, but they  look delicious!


Before blending, i tested it for sweetness, and the sugar i had added turned out out be the perfect amount. Hopefully they seal tight, and i will have some yummy applesauce in the upcoming weeks! 





2 comments:

  1. Yup I need to make some applesauce today I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i need to buy some more apples and make some more, two bottles is not enough!! :-)

    ReplyDelete