Followers

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mango BBQ Sauce

A couple weeks ago when i was grocery shopping, i found Mangoes on for 99 cents each. I picked up two and have been trying to find the perfect recipe since. I finally found this one on a website called  Fresh Mangoes. It appeared to be a simple recipe, so i decided to whip it up yesterday since my Crock-Pot was taking care of dinner.

Mango BBQ Sauce.



3 large tomatoes
1 medium onion, unpeeled
1 or more ripe mangos, depending on size, peeled and diced
2 chiles chipotle in adobo (stewed, canned), drained
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt

Broil or grill tomatoes and onion, charring all sides until soft, (about 35 minutes for onion, 25 minutes for tomato). Allow to cool, then peel onion and chop with tomato. 
Place all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from saucepan into a blender and puree. 
Marinate meats or poultry in BBQ sauce. Place meat on grill and cook until done, basting periodically with sauce. The chiles chipotle give the smoky flavor desired. Serve hot as a side dish for guests to use as needed.


I don't have a proper blender, so i used an immersion blender. It did not work very well. Oh, what an adventure this was! After broiling (and slightly burning) the tomatoes and onions, it was easy to peel them. I have to be a bit childish and say naked tomatoes look funny :-) 


I have a new cut on my hand, if it is a knife slice (but i think it is a split from dry skin) then it is from chopping the mangoes. I found several websites that have instructions and tips on how to chop mangoes; this is not the way.


I kept hitting the pit no matter where i sliced, so i basically ended up mostly cubing it on the pit. Finally, i got a slice that was pit free, and it pretty much fell apart in my hands. So, i just peeled each piece individually. Mango number two cooperated a bit more than number one, i ended up with one good slice that i was able to do the inside out cubing trick. 


Finally, i got it all in a big pot and started cooking. Wow, that cider vinegar stank. Thankfully, it was a nice day and i was able to crack the windows. I could not find the chipotles, so i gave it a sprinkle of crushed dried chillies.



 And as it boiled down, it torched the bottom of my pot. I had to add about a quarter cup of water for the last ten minutes, because it boiled dry and stuck like glue. Finally, i pulled it off the heat and used the immersion blender, but it didn't work. Some of the pieces were not really soft, so i dumped it into another pot, added another half cup of water and gave it another ten minutes bubbling. And i burned another pot, my good, thick bottomed fudge one to!! Thankfully, an overnight soak and a scraping with a spoon cleaned both. 


I gave it another swirl with the immersion blender and got the almost smooth BBQ sauce pictured at the top. (this one above was taken after first boil, before first chop). It is a very sweet sauce, and i can't wait to try it out on some chicken tomorrow for dinner. I can't try it tonight because i am going out for burgers and hot dogs. My little baby nephew, Kyristan, is turning 5 Wednesday! Where the time has gone, i do not know. And so K's Mommy and Daddy have invited me over for a dinner party with some of his daycare friends and our families; and as a very special guest they invited a Toronto Maple Leafs ice cream cake (he ain't making it out alive, though).

Speaking of birthdays, at the end of the month is my first Blog Birthday! Wow, that year went quick, as well. A year ago, i was sitting listening to a hockey game on the radio making sweet breads, and i typed my frustrations with my team out on Blogger. Since then i have come a long way, i think! So, in the spirit of giving that i have found here amongst my new friends and fellow bloggers, i am going to have a giveaway. I am not sure what it is going to be yet, but i need more followers! Come, follow, win a prize :-) I will probably announce it mid-month, to give plenty of time for everyone to enter. I just wanted to give any new visitors a heads up. Welcome, stay awhile, follow my crazy ramblings! I also am attempting to start up a baking business in my city Saint John. You are all welcome to 'like' me on my new Facebook page that i made up yesterday, just search for My Sweet Home Baking. 

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! It is getting sunny and warm here, time to open up the windows again!




1 comment: