Followers

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lemon Bread & Chicken

I violated a chicken today. Or at least, that is what my sister told me when i described my second recipe. I have two recipes, one I have posted twice before, i am re-posting because in two weeks i am participating in an online bake sale, and this is the recipe I plan on making. There is still time to join, it is for a great cause, and i encourage everyone to participate, or you can bid on Monday, May 2nd. The second recipe was dinner, and i was mean to the poor chicken. You will see why soon. :-)

So, Lemon Bread. I make this at least half a dozen times a year. I like it, everyone else loves it (which is why i make it a lot). Here is my Mom's recipe, enjoy!!!

Lemon Bread.


1 cup sugar
6 Tbsp melted butter (or room temp margarine)
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 + 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt  
grated rind of 1 lemon

Put in greased pan and let rise for 20 minutes. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Mix juice of 1/2 lemon (or orange) with 3 Tbsp sugar and spread over top when removing from oven.


I LOVE this picture! I can't believe it turned out so well! I must be honest and say i actually took this one a few weeks ago, today's lemon bread didn't turn out quite as picturesque (aka, i burnt it) (just a bit). My Mom usually only makes this at Christmastime, but i like to make it all year round because i have so many friends that love it. Also, i discovered last Christmas an orange substitutes into this recipe well. Now, onto that poor chicken. 

I found this recipe online, originally a few days ago on the Yahoo home page, i searched it again today and found it on a magazine called Glamour. The recipe is called Engagement Chicken, because apparently quite a few ladies made this recipe for their beaus and got a proposal soon afterward. I ain't holding my breath on that one, i ate alone tonight. 

So basically you take two or three lemons, pierce them and shove them up the #%* of a poor, unsuspecting chicken. Like so...


Germ safety first, before i touched the chicken, i had a plastic bag handy to put my hand into so i could grab my camera. The above description is what i gave my little sister for what i was planning for dinner. She said she was sure the chicken was going to feel a bit violated. So then, after salting and peppering, you put the chicken into your pot breast side down and pour another half cup of lemon juice (i  used 2 lemons) over it.  NOT like this. 


As you can see, i put him breast side up, and i had dumped the liquid into the bottom of the pot before i put the chicken in. Meanwhile, you should be pre-heating your oven to 400 F. Don't want to put poor chicken into a cold oven! Cover the pot and put it into the oven, then turn the temperature down to 350F. After 15 minutes, pull the chicken out and carefully flip him over. This is where i discovered i put him in wrong. Oops. 
After that, you basically bake the chicken until it is done, and serve garnished with fresh herbs. For the in depth recipe, see this link.  


My only problem was that by the time it was almost cooked, it had shrank and the second lemon had fallen out. I scooped it out of the pot and threw it in the sink until it cooled. At this point, i started basting every half hour. Since the chicken was finished long before serving time, i left it in the oven covered with the heat turned off. 


I served it with green beans, potatoes and gravy, all pre-packaged. Usually i don't used those ones, but after being in the kitchen all day (making other goodies) i really did not feel like putting in to much of an effort. 

Now for the review of the recipe: This chicken is divine!!! I'd propose to the man that made me this meal. Or woman! Run, get a chicken and some lemons. Violate that poor chicken by stuffing lemons up it's woo hoo. Enjoy. Yummy! 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! I am off to the movies with my sisters! 


4 comments:

  1. I am planning on making lemon bread today too! It sounds so nice and refreshing :-) Yours looks so delicious and moist.

    Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Natasha for baking for the Online bake Sale. your Lemon bread looks so good, and bursting with lots of lemony flavor. It would be perfect with a cup of tea!

    Your lemon chicken looks wonderful. citrus and chicken pair so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I can't wait to see all the other recipes in the Online Bake Sale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am posting an updated list tomorrow of the bakers and their goddies! Stay tuned

    ReplyDelete