Followers

Friday, December 3, 2010

Sweet Breads for the Soup Kitchen

I can't believe it has been almost a week since i posted. The week just spun by, it was crazy busy! I worked noon until 8 Monday through Wednesday, a shift which really does not allow much to be done before or after. Meanwhile, i was trying to catch up on the Harry Potter movies, since i missed the last couple and a friend wanted me to go see the newest one with her.

Yesterday i was off, but got up super early to make the 45 minute drive to my parents in order to do laundry. The laundry room here is closed due to flooding and i do not want to go to a more expensive laundromat. When i got back to town at one, i had to clean house since i had company coming at four, and then last night we went to the movies.

This morning i got up and found 4 bananas in the cupboard ready for bread. I already have enough in the freezer to make about 3 loaves and another 2 banana breads already baked and frozen. I am getting an overflow of bananas!! So i decided to call the soup kitchen and ask if they take donations of baked goods. In this day of fear from attacks, you never know if they still take fresh goods or just canned. The gentleman i spoke with seemed excited by the idea, saying it would be a treat, so into the kitchen i went!

I pulled the two breads out of the freezer to thaw, i will take them down to. Then i proceeded to use up the bananas in the cupboard. The recipe for my banana bread is here.



I used three of the bananas and stuck the forth in the freezer. Then i decided to use up one of the oranges i had in the fridge (i don't eat oranges, i don't like the taste). I had bought them for a recipe and did not have the chance to make it. Since 1 orange can make 2 breads, this is what i did. Recipe for Orange bread is here


So now i am just waiting for them all to cool so i can bag them and walk them to the soup kitchen, it is only about 3 blocks away. I still have oodles of bananas left in the freezer, so i might be making a few more next weekend, when i can get more flour and time. I am working between 8 and 12 hours each of the next 7 days, it is going to be another busy week!! 

Have a good weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment