Followers

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bow-tie pasta in sauce

I can't believe it is August already!! Wow, where has this year gone? My last week of July was so busy I did not have time to post (again), but I had so much fun! We went camping Saturday night, got a bit wet because it poured for a few hours that afternoon; but it stopped in time to cook dinner and have a campfire, and everything worked out great. I also managed to get some great pictures, even in the rain; stop by my other blog My Saint John to check them out!

Everything has been so busy lately, I have not had time to do any baking or cooking. My cookie jar has been empty for abut three weeks, horror! I ended up buying dinner 3 days out of five last week, which is tough on the pocket book. So this morning, while I was out starting my Christmas shopping (horrible, aren't I?) I decided I was going to make something to take with me to work tonight. Yesterday afternoon I was bopping around the Kraft website and I found a few recipes, using them for inspiration, I decided to concoct my own. And this is what I came up with.


I started with a chicken breast, I thawed, chopped and cooked it in the frying pan. When it was cooked through, I added a cup of vegetable broth, a can of tomato sauce, a tsp of chopped garlic (from a jar) and about 3 handfuls of bow-tie pasta. It looked a bit bland, so I threw in a half tablespoon each of dried parsley and oregano and a sprinkle of Italian spice mix. I stirred it all together and covered it, then I made some more  yogurt popsicles while it cooked.


I used blueberries instead of strawberries, and I had to add a splash of apple juice since the concoction was to think; most likely because both the bananas and berries were frozen.

So after about 15 minutes, my pasta was tender and I pulled it off the stove. I gave it a sprinkle of Parmesan and voila! Lunch and dinner. Yum.


It made enough for 3 fair sized portions, or two large. Maybe 4 or 5 if it was just a side. I don't know if it was the broth, as I have never used veggie before, but I found it to be a bit salty. I do not add extra salt to my cooking, and I am glad for it, because it would have been to much. This is easily changeable, I could have added an onion, green pepper or some different herbs or spices. I didn't think to add a bit of heat, and I could have easily added more pasta to the amount of sauce I had.

So, another meal taken care of, and I have to get back into baking. It is supposed to be rainy and miserable all week, which means perfect baking weather. I will have to dig out some recipes!

Hope everyone is having a great week, and all my Canadian friends had a great long weekend! I worked Monday, since I am employed by an American company, but I still managed to have fun!

See you again soon, promise ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Rain and misery makes the best baking weather. I hate to wish it, as far as weather goes, but for a baker/cook, it's a blessing. That bow tie pasta looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete