Followers

Saturday, August 13, 2011

No Machine Homemade Ice Cream

A few weeks ago, I found some homemade ice cream recipes. I was excited! I love ice cream! I couldn't wait! Then, I started pricing ice cream makers around my city, and got sticker shock. Boo. I was resigned to eating from the 4 tubs already in the freezer (ice cream is expensive, so I stock up when it is on sale).

A few days ago, I found this recipe for homemade ice cream without a machine. Yay! Thank you to Jamie Cooks it Up!, I had most of the ingredients and I quickly ran out to get the last one.

Homemade Ice Cream (without a machine!)


2 cups whipping cream.
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk.
1/2 tsp vanilla (or other flavoring)
food colouring (if desired)
Mix-ins as desired.

In mixer, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Add milk and mix until combined. Stir in colour and flavor, add mix ins. Pour into freezer-safe container, freeze 6 hours.


Because I had a request for Maple Walnut and I am not wild about maple flavor (I am not a very good little Canadian), I made two flavors. My second is my favorite, chocolate mint chip. I used my cookie scoop to take two little bites, since it is only 9:30 in the morning.


I mixed it into one big batch and then divided the mixture into two empty ice cream containers. They are big enough to be able to mix in everything easily and have expansion room.


To the first I added 2 drops of peppermint, 2 drops of green colour and a handful of chips. They sunk to the bottom when I stirred it, so I added a few more on top.


The Maple walnut got 2-3 drops of maple flavor, which automatically coloured it, and a handful of walnuts. I learned from the first batch and added the nuts after stirring in the flavor. I gave it another stir after adding the nuts, but they didn't sink so much. Science! Chocolate is denser then walnuts. I put them in the freezer overnight and this morning had this lovely sight.


I love this recipe and am definitely going to use it again, especially since I found This Page with a bunch of yummy add-in recipes. The ice cream turned out creamy and not to sweet. And, not including add ins, it cost  less than a tub of ice cream! It was 2.99 for the cream and 1.99 for the milk, I got two half tubs that usually cost 6.99 each (I try to get them for 4.99 or less).

Perfect timing to make ice cream, it is shaping up to be a very hot Saturday, which is great because it has been raining all week! Hope everyone has a great weekend!




4 comments:

  1. Yum! I'd love to have a bowl now, it looks delicious! Sounds easier than a machine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious looking ice creams lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade ice cream are much better than store bought. This looks delicious. I love both flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I am told the maple could use a smidge more, so next time I will add a extra drop. I can't wait to make more!

    ReplyDelete