Followers

Monday, June 6, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits.

Yesterday's butter yielded a little something extra: Buttermilk. I hate to waste, so I decided to make biscuits with it. Because I had almost exactly a cup, i searched through several recipes until I found one that took that amount.  I found this one on Canadian Living magazine's website. I love this magazine and pick it up a few times a year when they have special holiday issues full of recipes!

Buttermilk Biscuits.


2 +1/2 cup all purpose flour (substitute 1+1/4 with whole wheat flour, if desired).
2 Tbsp sugar.
2 + 1/2 tsp baking powder.
1/2 tsp baking soda.
1/2 tsp salt.
1/2 cup cold butter.
1 cup buttermilk.
1 egg.

In large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course oatmeal. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add to dry mixture, mixing until combined.
Roll onto flour board, knead 10 times until all incorporated. Roll out to desired thickness, cut with biscuit cutter or upturned glass.
Bake at 400 F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Spread additional butter on tops while still warm to keep soft. Store in airtight container, or wrap individually and freeze for up to 2 weeks.



I used my fresh butter to make the biscuits, but cheated and used Becel for the topping. It did not keep them soft. But, a quick 20 second microwave fixes that. I had some for a snack last night with my fresh butter and some jam (store-bought, haven't tried making jam. Yet). They are delicious! The recipe made about 18, so there are plenty to share!

Have a Happy Monday, everyone! I have an interview this afternoon, so keep your fingers crossed for me!!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! Mmmmm! You sure know how to make biscuits up your way! Good luck with your interview!!!

    ReplyDelete