Followers

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Butter Tart Squares.

I am told Butter Tarts are something truly Canadian. I have never made them before but I found this in a church cook book. Because Pastry is my nemesis, and therefore I can not make proper tarts, I decided this was worth a try!  I planned on making these for my Dad as a Father's Day gift, i took them this weekend because I was not sure if i would get to see him next weekend as he lives an hour away and I am low on funds for gas. We were supposed to go out tonight so he and K could go fishing in the morning, but last night we looked at the weather forecast and made a quick change in plans and went then instead. K caught 3 fish and had a great time! He wants to go again soon, but it may be to late in the season for it.

Because we rushed out last night, I literally whipped this together. It was still very hot, I only had time to cool it in the pan about 7 minutes, so I capped it and wrapped it in a dishtowel and away we went!

Butter Tart Squares.


Crust:


1/2 cup butter.
2 Tbsp icing sugar.
1 + 1/2 cups flour.

Combine and press into a 9 X 9 inch pan. Bake at 350 F for 5 minutes.

Filling:


1 + 1/2 cups brown sugar.
1/2 cup melted butter.
2 eggs.
1 tsp vinegar.
1 tsp vanilla.
1 cup raisins.

In mixer, blend butter and sugar well. Add eggs, vinegar and vanilla. Blend until smooth. Fold in raisins. Pour onto crust. Bake at 350 F for 30 to 35 minutes.


When we got to the country, I let them sit for a couple hours uncovered to cool properly, then I recapped them so the cats would not get into it, and left it until this morning to cut. It was a bit sticky, but otherwise fine.


I used up half of the remaining homemade butter  on the bottom and half of it in the top. I filled out both with a bit of Becel. I found the bottom to be a bit crumbly, but otherwise fine. Also, the top seemed to brown fast, but took about 35 minutes to set in the centre.


The filling was very sweet, and everyone liked them a lot. Dad said it could have used a bit more filling, so the next time I may make one and a half of it.

I had a wonderful day in the country, I came back smelling of bug spray and sunscreen, and with a sunburn and a few bug bites. But, it was a nice, sunny day and we had Bar B Que'd Trout for lunch and helped Nanny make homemade pizza for dinner. What a delicious day!

Hope everyone is having as good a weekend as I am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment