Followers

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Thanksgiving Apple Crumble.

Tomorrow is Canadian Thanksgiving, and i am thankful for many things:


  I was born living in a free country as beautiful as Canada.


Days like today, when i get to hang out with my little man K. My 4 year old nephew dodging the waves of the Bay of Fundy.


  The beautiful hiking trails in my city that i can explore whenever i want. 


 The beautiful sunsets and sunrises that i have witnessed. 


 I have a patch of land to grow my own veggies each summer.


 Every summer i get to see my Father's garden grow beautiful flowers. 
  My family, and the fact that i am a horrible artist :-)


I have a full cupboard, freezer and refrigerator.  


There are many more blessings that i am thankful for, i have a job, a comfortable (and cheap) apartment, i own my car, i have a boyfriend. I have a great life. 

And tomorrow, i am going home to my parents' house to have dinner with my family: My sister, mom and dad, cousins, including a new baby! My grandmother, uncles, aunts and even some new faces i have not met, our table is open to all. Some faces will be missing, but they will be back next time! We all gather around the table three times a year: Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year, i am making 2 contributions to dinner. The first is for dessert; a yummy Apple Crumble! 

This is a recipe my mom used whenever she made apple crumble when i was a kid. It was in a promotional cookbook for Pillsbury flour. I don't know if they even sell flour anymore, it is a very old cookbook!! 

Mix: 1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 + 1/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon.

Sprinkle over apple slices in a deep dish. Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes.


This is the apple crumble going in. I have also added about 1/4 cup of oatmeal to the mix, just to give it extra texture. I mixed the margarine into it with a fork, and then when it was mixed a bit, i used my hands to get it all incorporated. I ended up using about a bag and a half of apples for this large dish. It is not deep, but it is big! 


And here it is 40 minutes later, oozing sweetness. Can't wait to dig in, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment