Followers

Monday, October 18, 2010

Old Fashioned Macaroni & Cheese

This is my second attempt at Mac & Cheese, and although this recipe was easier, it was definitely more frustrating. I can only blame the frustration on myself, i guess, because i kind of made a bigger deal than necessary out of a small situation.

I had already had the cheese shredded and everything ready to throw together when i realized i hadn't any macaroni on hand. No problem, i live literally a 5 minute walk from a store with a grocery section. (this was last month before i bought my car, so i hadn't much choice). Out into the rain i went to discover there was no macaroni in the entire store...so i politely asked the clerk....her response? "Oh, um, yeah...we've been out of that for months".

I felt like shouting "Is there some sort of Nation wide macaroni shortage that they could not order some in?" (Especially since all the pastas were on sale in the flyer that week). But, i didn't flip out; i politely thanked her and left. Angry once again that i could not get what i needed at the store, and upset that i had gone out in the rain when i had pasta at home i could have used, i fumed my way back up the huge hill that i live on top of, slammed a few things around the kitchen, and used swirls.

Anyway, on with the food. I got this recipe from a Kraft magazine, it was an advertisement feature for their shredded cheese. I had found block cheese on sale a few days before, and therefore shredded my own.



2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 + 1/2 cups milk
3 cups shredded Mozza- Cheddar cheese

Cook macaroni as directed on package. Meanwhile, cook onion in butter in a large saucepan on medium heat 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. 

Add flour; cook stirring for 1 minute. Add milk, cook 5 minutes stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 2 cups of the cheese.

Drain macaroni. Add to cheese sauce; toss to coat. Spoon into greased dish; sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese.

Bake 20 minutes or until heated through in 350 F oven. 



Swirls and cheese fresh from the oven. I found this recipe much easier to make than the last one, it is a quick fix for a busy weeknight and it was really good as leftovers too!

The next day i was out at a wedding show with my sister, since it was close to my favorite grocery store i bought 2 packages of macaroni and one of spaghetti on sale, buy 1 get 2 free!  They were very heavy walking the 45 minutes back home, but i will never run out again!

3 comments:

  1. Yumm!!!! I loveeeeeeee Mac and Cheese :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of macaroni at the store? WHAT????? Thats awful, but it looks like it turned out yummy after all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love any kind of mac and cheese! This looks yummy...love the baked top!

    ReplyDelete