Followers

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pretzel Dogs

I found this recipe yesterday afternoon while looking through my list of blogs that i follow.  It looked delicious and simple, and i wanted it for dinner, so 
I stole it from Can't Stop Baking. Unfortunately, i did not have time to make it last night, between phone calls and a meeting. So, i decided to hold off. Tonight, i still wanted to try it, and since i have nowhere to go, few groceries and they are calling for a huge snowstorm overnight (people panic, so  i am not going out to buy something for dinner), i decided to go for it.


Pretzel Dogs

1  package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 + 1/8 teaspoons salt
1 + 1/2 cups warm water (110  F/45 C)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour (i used regular flour, as did the victim of my thievery)

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast, brown sugar and salt in 1 + 1/2 cups warm water. Stir in flour, and knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise for one hour.

12 hot-dogs
2 cups hot water
2 tablespoons baking soda

Combine in an 8 inch square pan. After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope and wrap around hot dog, tucking the end under. Dip into the baking soda solution and shake off excess water. Place on parchment covered cookie sheets, and let rise 15 to 20 minutes

1 egg
2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt

Brush with egg and sprinkle on salt. Bake at 450 F for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.


I actually only made 2 hot-dogs, because what is one person going to do with a dozen? So, i made pretzels with the rest. I skipped the egg and salt step, i don't like to much salt and the egg is only for browning. I will not scare you with my scary looking pretzels. Let's just say i can not fold pretzels. They look like dough balls.


I was lazy and used my mixer to knead. It made a fair sized bunch of dough, you could probably stretch it into 2 dozen pretzels. I oiled the bowl and went away. One episode of NCIS later, i had oodles of dough that looked so neat & tidy, i didn't want to touch it. I wanted to throw it in the oven and make a perfect loaf!


So, now all i have to do is sit back and wait out the storm. And eat pretzels. I am still waiting on a few phone calls, trying to find a place to have my sister's rehearsal dinner next Wednesday. I think i left it a bit to late, because everyone seems to be booked up. Only one week until the wedding!! Have a good week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment