Followers

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Self Frosting Oatmeal Cookies.

I can't quite remember where i picked up this recipe, but i am about ninety nine percent sure it was from this book. This weekend, i planned to do only two things, make oatmeal bread and make gnocci. Neither got done. I realized yesterday morning that the recipe i had was for oatmeal rolls, not bread, and that i didn't quite have enough flour for  it. I can't buy flour until the end of the week, so that was out. I made yesterday's breakfast casserole instead. This morning, i got an invite to go skating and then to a hockey game. I was all for it, so i ended up having KD for dinner instead of gnocci. I work early all week, so it will be coming soon! These cookies, i managed to make today because there is a refrigeration period, which i used to my advantage. I mixed them up at 10:30 this morning, and baked them at 7:30 tonight. I had an awesome day of skating, taking pictures and watching the hockey game, the Seadogs won 5 - 2 , YAY! OK...i'll stop jabbering now and give you the recipe. :-)

Self Frosting Oatmeal Cookies. 


1 cup each brown and white sugar.
1 cup cooking oil.
1 tsp vanilla.
2 eggs,
1 tsp salt.
1/2 tsp soda.
1 tsp baking powder.
1 + 1/2 cups flour.
2+1/2 cups oatmeal.
Icing sugar

Cream together sugars, oil and vanilla. Add eggs and mix well.
Sift together flour, salt, soda and powder. Add to creamed mixture. Add oatmeal.
Chill dough 2 hours. Roll into walnut sized balls and roll in icing sugar. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 F for 8 to 10 minutes.


This recipes makes oodles of cookies!! I got just over four and a half dozen. That will keep me going for awhile :-) They are crispy and sweet, but surprisingly not to sweet from the double sugars.


The batter was quite dry, but easily mashed into balls. I only had to use about 2 Tbsp of icing sugar and had some left over, so don't pour to much out and waste it! I also only dipped the tops into it, and i had to brush it off some; icing sugar has a habit of clumping. This morning i planned on dipping a few in cocoa to see how they would fare, but i forgot. Oops. But, always something to try next time! I am really enjoying this recipe so far, so i think i will have to make it again, it is a perfect recipe if you need lots!

Even though my weekend didn't turn out as planned, i had an enjoyable time. I hope everyone else had a good weekend to!!

2 comments:

  1. Well, these just look delicious! I love oatmeal cookies and the idea of self frosted ones. Oh yeah. I'm all about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe is great!I can't keep my hand out of the cookie jar!!

    ReplyDelete