Followers

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cinnamon Chip Crumbles.

My Mom gave me a cookbook for Christmas full of square recipes. It is a new printing (according to the front cover) but the book was originally published the year I was born, and has sold over 1 million copies. Ya can't go wrong with this one, obviously it must have a few good recipes :-)

So the first recipe i decided to make from my new book is called Chip Squares. Simple, quick, and perfect for tonight's dessert! I modified it a bit by using cinnamon chips instead of chocolate chips. I have been looking for a recipe to use them in for a long time. The picture of this recipe looked like they had mini chips in them, all i have on hand are large...except for the cinnamon ones. Time to start baking!!


Chip Crumbles

2 cups all purpose flour.
1 cup brown sugar, packed.
1 cup butter or hard margarine, softened.
1 tsp. vanilla extract.
1 cup finely chopped walnuts.
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips.

Mix first 4 ingredients in large bowl until crumbly.
Add walnuts and chocolate chips. Stir. Press firmly into 9 x 9 inch pan. Bake in 350 F oven for about 25 minutes or until browned.
Cool slightly; cut while still warm into 36 squares.


As i am typing this, i am eating a slice. It is kind of like shortbread, It might pair well with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream, but alone it is great! Very cinnamon-y due to the chips i used. I used my mixer to blend the first ingredients. I was a bit worried as it was quite dry. 


But once i got it into the pan and started pressing it in, it packed together nicely. Oh, i also did not bother adding the walnuts. I don't have any on hand and after the day i had out, i am not going anywhere near another store for a week...if ever.


My favorite grocery store is having a great buy one get one sale this week. I saw the flyer and knew i had to take advantage. I was smart and went yesterday morning at 10 am. The only competition i had were a few moms and seniors. Then this morning, i discovered i had forgotten a couple things i need for making sweets for my sister's wedding shower. Out i went. To say that the store was busy is the understatement of the century!! Thankfully the store is attached to a mall so there is plenty of parking, but I had to park very far away, which normally i don't mind; walking to the store i almost got run over a few times from people looking left and turning right.  I barely got into the door, and i almost had to push my way to the back to get the one thing i needed. I finally got it and was lucky to cash out quick and get out of there. But i still had to go to three other stores, all were busy, they were at two other malls nearby and traffic was horrendous. I don't really mind busy stores, i can live with it. What really gets to me is the traffic. It grates my nerves that people just sit blocking lanes, or cut others off, or if they are going at a snail's pace. I am not the best driver myself, but there are a lot of people out there who should not be on the roads! I would rather park my car and walk from store to store, so long as it is not to cold, rather than contend with traffic trying to get into the 3 different malls that are packed close together. Any-who...that's my rant. 

While I was out, i found these little treasures...Hershey kisses are divine by themselves, but now they have stuffed them with cherries!!!! My favorite! I scooped these up at the Bulk Barn. 


The one on the left is a cookies and cream; white chocolate with chocolate cookie bits. The middle is the decadent cherry kiss. And the one to the right is the original. Yumm, these were worth almost getting run over!

2 comments:

  1. I love shopping at odd hours when the stores are nearly empty. It' just no fun to get into a shopping cart traffic jam. Those bars sound great. What is the name of the cookbook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to do my shopping late at night to. I usually pick my sister up from work at 11pm and we go then. It is great!
    The recipe book is Company's Coming 150 Delicious Squares.

    ReplyDelete