Followers

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Whiz Bang Banana Muffins

Another internet search, this time for healthy muffins, found this recipe with a cute name. They are super easy to make and take no time at all. I usually do not make muffins because they always turn out small, and the next day the tops are sticky, so i find that a pain for transportation purposes; and just don't bother. So last week, i was in a specialty cooking store, and i found a muffin top pan! It was 16 dollars, which is pretty steep in my opinion, for a muffin pan, but i love large muffins, so i bought it. This was my first run with it, and i love it! I think i will get my 16 dollars worth.


1 cup flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1 large banana, cut up.

Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

In a blender, combine milk, egg and oil. Cover and blend smooth. With blender running, add banana and blend into mixture.

Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fill muffin pans 2/3 full. Bake in 400 F oven for about 20 minutes.


Because i do not have a blender, i used my mixer. I just made sure i scraped the bowl a couple of times, and I let it fly at high speed. I had used frozen and thawed bananas, so they were kind of mushy. You might want to mash them if you are using fresh without a blender. I also substituted unsweetened apple sauce for the oil, to make them a bit healthier.

From this recipe, i got 6 muffin tops. If i used a smaller pan, i am sure i would have gotten a 8 or even 12. They only had to bake about 15 minutes, but that could be because of the pan. They are moist and delicious, a hint of banana, but not overpowering. They make a quick breakfast, so i will definitely be making these again.

editing a couple months after the fact to laugh at myself! I posted this recipe on another webpage and someone noticed i had left out the measurement for the milk :-P edited to add 1/3 cup milk. 



1 comment: