Followers

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Apple Pie

Is there anything better than a slice of homemade pie? Crisp apples picked fresh from an orchard in Autumn make for the best pies. I do not make any type of pie often, because pastry seems to be my nemesis. It is one of the few things i make a mess of every time. But, it has been a long time time since i have had a fresh slice of pie, so I cheated and got my sister to make me a batch of pastry. She used Crisco shortening, flour and water. Don't ask me in what measurements, because she just grabbed a mug and started pouring stuff into a bowl. I stuck the pastry in the refrigerator overnight, for two reasons. I have always been told / read that cold pastry is easiest to work with and makes for the fluffiest pastry. And we were running out to get fitted for bridesmaids dresses, and therefore did not have time to make a pie.

The next day, i rolled out the bottom pastry. I then peeled, cored and sliced about 9 McIntosh apples, threw them in the pie, added about 2 Tbsp white sugar, and about 1 tsp cinnamon. I decided to make the top pastry a little fancy, showing off for company. I used a miniature cookie cutter in the shape of a shamrock to cut 5 holes in the top pastry, before putting it on the pie. I rolled the pastry onto the pie (the easiest way is to roll it onto the rolling pin, and then roll it back out over the pie). I used a bit of water around the bottom crust to 'glue' the pastry together, then mashed the edges with a fork and cut off the excess. I then put a drop of water on the cut outs and set them in the spaces between the holes. As it cooked, the water glued the pieces to the pie.


I baked my pie at about 350 F for 45 minutes. Basically until the top was browned and i was able to stick a knife through the apples. I very carefully lifted the pie up to check that the bottom looked cooked.

All that was left to do was cool, slice and indulge. I had to wait for the company to arrive first, though.


And, i am out of ice cream. Eh, well, pie is still good without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment