Followers

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tuna Fish Cakes

Once again, i was on the hunt for something different for dinner. I am tired of the same old thing. So, on a rainy day, out came the magazines, websites and cook books. I found this one on the Kraft website, and then realized it was sitting on my coffee table in a Kraft magazine, in the stack of 'try' recipes. I have made something similar before, but it was a long time ago. Right off the top, i am going to say i am not crazy about tuna. I have never been, but once in awhile one has to swallow their dislikes and try something new.


2 cans (170 g each) white tuna in water, drained, flaked.
1 Pkg stuffing mix for chicken
3/4 cup water
1 cup shredded Mozza-Cheddar cheese
1 carrot, shredded
1/4 cup Miracle Whip
2 Tbsp sweet pickle relish

Mix all ingredients, refrigerate 10 minutes.

Heat large, non stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium heat. Add 1/4 cup portions of mixture in batches to skillet.

Flatten into patties with back of spatula. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.


On the website, i found oodles of comments from people who had made them before. A lot were echoes, they fell apart while cooking. So a few were innovative and said they used their muffin tins to cook them in the oven, for 25 minutes at 350 F. I went with this, and stuffed them into my muffin top pan, then flipped them onto a cookie sheet. I got 12 fish cakes this way. 



The recipe suggests serving with corn and a tossed green salad. I went with Caesar salad and homemade bread & butter pickles. The salad i got at the supermarket deli, the pickles were compliments of my mom. They were really good, and just as good as left overs! They were not soggy, perfectly crispy; in fact, i picked one up and ate it like a cookie! This deserves a second try. 


And now, a story to go with the fish cakes: 


The ingredients for these are easy to obtain,  but i live Uptown, and unfortunately neither the store/supermarket, nor the City Market carried the stuffing mix. The Market, i understand, but the supermarket? This is the second time in a week i was unable to find something needed there. Well, really it is an all purpose store, a small food area in the back, mostly freezer and boxed items, and the rest clothing and household items, but still it is a box of stuffing. So, in the rain, i trudged 35 minutes (each way) to the nearest supermarket and got the items. While there, the self-serve checkouts were pickier than the ones at my usual supermarket, and the supervisor came over and acted high and mighty with me because i did not have the sense to know that the complimentary dressing with the salad was not to be scanned. As well, the scanner does not have an option for you to tell it you set down your own reusable bag, either, without calling the supervisor, my usual supermarket has a button to press saying you put a reusable bag down; so i had to scan all my items, set them on the conveyor and after all was said and done, bag them...while other people were waiting. So basically, on my walk home i put my self into a huge funk. I miss having a car!!! 

An hour later, I was just mixing my tuna when i got a phone call from my Dad, he knew someone who was selling a car! And for less than the amount of money i had in my 'car fund'. We went to look at it, and i fell in ♥♥ Love...so now no more rainy walks to the supermarket, or walks to a store only to find out what i need is not there. I can go to my favorite store again, without taking the bus all the way across the city!  


My new wheels. Yay! 


No comments:

Post a Comment