Followers

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pulled Beef Wraps

Last night, i was cruising through recipes looking for something different for my lunch today. I decided i wanted to use my crock-pot, so i steered my search in that direction. I found a lot of pulled pork recipes. The only pork i have in the freezer is stir fry strips and breakfast sausages, not really good for pulled pork. But, i had some stewing beef...maybe pulled beef? I did an internet search to see if  pulled beef actually exists and, among many others,  found this recipe at Spark Recipes. I decided to give it a go, since all the other recipes called for root beer, Dr. Pepper or cola, something i don't buy; and it was to late to go out for one specific ingredient. So, i pulled out the beef, microwaved it to thaw out of the package, and then i put it in the crock-pot on low for 30 minutes to thaw completely. Meanwhile, i mixed my BBQ sauce.


I wanted to finish up a bottle of Bulls Eye Sweet & Sticky. When i got that completely emptied, i only had a cup. I expanded it with about 1/4 cup of beer & chipotle, 1/8 cup of HP steak sauce, and 1/8 cup of Thai sweet & spicy sauce. I also added 1/4 tsp of pre-chopped garlic along with a quarter of a red pepper and an onion. I threw it all in the crock-pot, but because the sauce as just sitting on the meat, it looked like it was going to burn, so i added about 3/4 cup of beef stock. I turned it on low for 8 hours and went to bed. At about 5:30 i woke up and took the above picture ( I can't really remember, but i am pretty sure it was without glasses) then i took two forks and shredded the chunks of meat. I left it on warm and went back to bed.


I got up at 8 am and found this, the sauce was not as thick as i wanted it, so i mixed 1/4 cup water with about 2 Tbsp flour and mixed that in, back on high for half an hour. It didn't help, so i had no choice but to just use it, draining from the spoon as i went. I put some onto six inch pitas and rolled them up (a very poor picture is below), I took 4 of these for my lunch, i meant to put some cheese with them but forgot, oops. :-) The rest of the mixture i put into a container in the refrigerator, hopefully it will thicken into gravy i can use for dinner tonight.


I tasted the mixture before i made my wraps, it is delicious! The HP sauce is really strong, and the flavours blend well. The next time, i think i will use less beef stock, otherwise i am calling this a success. Now, off to work for the day with my lunch. It rained all day yesterday and i think it pushed us into 'true' Spring. The sun is shining, the wind is blowing and it is warm! Hopefully, no more bitter cold winds (at least until October).

Have a good day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment