Followers

Friday, April 1, 2011

Girl Guide Cookie Cheesecakes.

It's Spring, which means Girl Guide cookies are out! Here in Canada, we only have two types of cookies, Mint thins in the Fall, and chocolate/vanilla sandwich cookies in the Spring. I splurged this afternoon and spent 4 dollars for a box. Yikes! I remember selling them for 2 dollars (or as my Dad says, he remembers selling them for two dollars). But, that was 20 some years ago.


Before I start the recipe, i want to show you the April Fools joke Mother Nature played on us today. I took this picture on my walk home this evening, at about 6 pm. 


That was all grass yesterday. It started at about 10:30 and dumped about 2 inches, and then turned to rain at about the time i was walking home. Now at 11, it is just plain messy out. 

Because I was planning on baking tonight, i decided to forgo making dinner. Yup, i actually broke down and spent money to have food delivered to my house. And a pizza, no less. Usually when i order in, i get a chicken dinner from Swiss Chalet, yummy, healthier, enough for two meals, and no delivery charge. Well, tonight, i spent 20 of my hard earned dollars on this. 


A nine inch pizza and garlic fingers, good thing is that there is enough for lunch tomorrow and Sunday, since i only ate 1/4 of each :-) and it came with pop, something sugary i can give to K next time he visits, just before i send him home...hehehe. 

Anyway, enough of my babbling, on with the cheesecake! I got this recipe from the Girl Guides of Canada/Guide du Canada  website, which was posted on the cookie box. It was donated by a troop that is about 40 minutes outside of my city, in a town called Hampton, New Brunswick. 



Girl Guide Cookie Cheesecakes.

6 vanilla cookies.
6 chocolate cookies.
2 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened.
1/2 cup sugar.
1 tsp vanilla.
2 eggs.

Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners. Split cookies in half, scraping off icing. Put a half cookie in each tin.
Mix cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until well combined. Add eggs and mix well.
Pour over cookies, filling each tin 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes at 325 F.
Top with topping of choice. Caramel, chocolate, fruit, etc.


I do not like cheesecake, i made these for everyone else. I did try a bite of one, they taste like cheesecake. My bite was chased by a large mug of water and a cookie. It made the promised 24, but because i was worried i would not have enough, the first pan was smaller than the second. I only have one muffin tin, so i had to cook them in two rounds. I put them in these really cool liners i got after Halloween, i love hitting post holiday sales! 


Again, i don't like cheesecake, so i passed a few off to a tester. He said they would be better with a fruit topping, like cherry or blueberry. I just put a small amount of chocolate on them, he said the cheesecake was overpowering the chocolate (but that was not a bad thing to him, because he loves cheesecake). He ate six, and took 4 more to go. I also fed him a quarter of the pizza and garlic fingers, just to be sure he gets some real food in there to.


This is the third time i have made cheesecake, and i have discovered it is not as daunting as a lot of people think. This recipe was a simple one that i may go back to for a full sized cheesecake, in a bigger pan and with some fruit it would make a nice dessert.


When i was a kid, i spent three years in Brownies and another three in Girl Guides. I sold plenty of cookies (and my Dad even more), and earned many badges. I skipped the Pathfinder years when i was in Junior High because we had moved and there was no group in my area, but became a Junior Leader in 10th grade and then a Leader when i turned 18. All my badges are sewn on my camp blanket, my sashes from Brownies and Girl Guides and all the patches i received at events as a Junior Leader and Adult. I still have my camp blanket packed away, along with my pins and camp hat. And while digging, i even found my old neck ties from Girl Guides and Junior Leaders.


So many memories of camping and adventures. I left Guiding because i started working, i worked overnight shifts and could not be relied upon to be everywhere i needed to be. Since then, i have worked jobs that take me into evening shifts to often. It is something i really want to get back into doing, so i am thinking next Fall i may try to work with my scheduler to see if i can join again. I really miss the camping adventures, especially the adult trainings, we had so many laughs!

Hope everyone had a great week, and that Mother Nature did not play any mean tricks today like we got here!! Happy Weekend!




3 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I'd love to try this. I recently gave away all our GS cookies because I ate 2 boxes in 2 days. So delicious but so bad. :) I will have to try these cheesecakes now. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, i have never tried Girl Scout cookies, but i hear they are really good! I want to try the Samosas, they look the best. I think you could probably make these with Oreos or something similar instead of the Girl Guide cookies, any sandwich one would do, i think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so cool to find out that they are called Girl Guides up there in Canada!!! I was in the Girl Scouts and all it taught me was how much I love Samoas...haha

    I am not a big fan of cheesecake either but every once in awhile I enjoy it. These look great.

    ReplyDelete