Followers

Friday, April 15, 2011

Chocolate Cookies

I am sitting here listening to potentially the final game in round two of the QMJHL Playoffs against the Saint John Seadogs and the Victoriaville Tigres. I say potentially because if the Seadogs win, it is over; if the Tigres win, there will be another game tomorrow night, here in Saint John. I was about to say bad news is the Seadogs are down 2 goals to 1, but the announcer just said that sweet word, and the game is tied :-) SCORE!!!!

The game started at eight, and t about a quarter to eight, i started looking for my recipe to make while listening tonight. Yeah, i am a procrastinator and left it to the last minute. I peaked through a few books, found one i wanted to use and went to the kitchen. First thing to do was the dinner dishes, and by the time i was done them i had changed my mind. I went on a quick blog search for cookie recipes, and found this one on Anecdotes and Apple cores, one of my favorite blogs. Monet is a great writer, i encourage you  to take a pop over and check out her blog!

Chocolate Cookies.

1 + 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp (1+1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 egg

In mixer bowl, throughly blend flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, powder and salt. While still running, slowly add butter and egg to mix; continuously blending until dough forms a ball.
Drop by Tablespoonful onto cookie sheet, flatten slightly with a fork dipped in water.
Bake for 9 minutes at 375 F, rotating during baking.


The recipe comes with a cream mixture to sandwich, making them homemade Oreos; I decided not to go with it as i found them nice just plain (or, i am just lazy), check out Monet's Blog for the recipe for that.


I love the sandy look of the dry ingredients mixed together in this recipe. Since i waited so late to pick the recipe, i did not have time to let the butter come to room temperature. I think for this reason, i had to use a bit of milk to bring it together. Not much, just a few tablespoons.


It is a nice dark batter, and the cookies turned out very chocolaty. I will be making these again for sure, and maybe next time i will try the cream filling.

The hockey game is still tied at 2, there is still another 20 minute period to go, so i am keeping my fingers crossed that the Seadogs are going to win! Good thing i have chocolate to help with the stress! Speaking of stress, i got quite upset today when i went to pay a bill. Last night i went out and picked out a brand new pair of glasses, paying 240$ for them. I went back today to pay the remaining 100$ and they could not find them! No records that i had been there! Ah! That is a lot of money (and this is with a 150$ discount and another 95$ going on my insurance), i was not impressed; if i had not been on my break from work, i would have been able to do something, but as is i was late. So now, i have to go back to the store with the receipt to prove i paid and hope they find my specs! I promise i will not flip out if they can not find them, i can pick another! Hey, maybe they will be cheaper!

Hope everyone is having a stress free Friday, keep your fingers crossed for my Seadogs to win!!

1 comment: