Followers

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Main Dish Cheese Spoonbread.

This morning i went for a walk to the library to return some books. While I was there, i took the time to print off some resumes and get three more cookbooks. One of the books I got was put out by Campbell's soup. I really only got this book because it was big enough to tuck my resumes inside, since i forgot a folder or plastic cover, and it was raining. Again. When I got my books home, i bookmarked a few recipes in each. This is one I decided to make tonight, since I had all but one ingredient. I had to run to the store for eggs anyway, so i figured i could pick up that one ingredient (bacon) while i was there. I got to the store, and all the bacon was priced high. The lowest was about 3.99 and it was ninety percent fat. This is why i usually buy turkey bacon. So, on the next shelf over was sliced ham, for 2.99. I decided to be creative and bought that instead. And honestly, I think it turned out better!

Main Dish Cheese Spoonbread.


6 slices bacon, diced.
1/4 cup finely chopped onion.
1 cup cornmeal.
1+ 1/4 cups water.
1 (10oz) can cheddar cheese soup.
3 Tbsp butter or margarine.
3 eggs, beaten.
1 tsp baking powder.
dash ground red pepper.
syrup or butter.

In 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove meat, drain on paper towels. In juices, cook onion until tender. Stir in cornmeal and water until smooth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Stir in butter until melted. Stir in soup, eggs, baking powder, pepper and bacon. Pour into butter 2 quart baking dish.
Bake at 350 F for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Serve with syrup or butter.


The thing i like about this book is that it has several substitutions for each recipe. Change the soup for cream of chicken, the bacon to ham, the onion to green pepper and the red pepper to paprika and you get a whole other dish.
Or, you can use cream of celery, 1/2 Lb bulk pork sausage, celery and dried sage. Or, cream of mushroom, diced corn beef + 2 Tbsp oil, chopped mushrooms and garlic powder.


This is the batter before I baked it...and when i took this picture, i realized that teaspoon measure sitting beside it still had the baking powder in it. Oops. So, i got a bigger dish, mixed the powder into it in this dish and poured it into the other one.

 I served it with sour cream instead of the butter or syrup. I found the recipe to be light, I think it might be a better breakfast or brunch dish, rather than dinner, but it was still delicious. I found the cheese was not a really noticeable flavour in the dish, but I liked it nonetheless and I think I might make it again.

 I think I am catching a cold. My throat has been feeling a bit sore all afternoon. I was hoping it was just the dry air, since it has been so wet and cold I have the heat on. But now the past couple hours since dinner, I have been feeling a bit stuffy and suddenly when i started typing, a few sneezes accompanied my first keyboard taps. So, i took an extra double dose of my vitamin C, hope it knocks it out before I actually catch it. I will have to go to bed early tonight and get some extra sleep, it will help as well.

I have to start baking tomorrow for the weekend. I made abut 60 dollars last weekend at the flea market, and the regulars said it was a dead day because of the long weekend. They also said this weekend will be busy, as it is the end of the month and the government checks are in. So i decided to try again selling sweets this weekend, hopefully I will sell more.

Hope everyone is having a great week! I am having a good week so far, my team won last night (Saint John Seadogs) they are playing the Memorial Cup challenge. The Seadogs are the youngest team this year playing and have won both of their games thus far. They are playing again tonight and halfway through the gave are up 2-0. Yay Seadogs!!

Have a good week! I have at least 2 meal recipes and a new cookie recipe coming soon!!

1 comment: