Followers

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Rainy Saturday pork chops

I woke up this morning and it was raining, boo. Not that i really had any big outdoor plans today, anyway, but a rainy day is a dreary day.

I had company coming for dinner, but I really did not feel like cooking anything, and i am low on groceries, so i thought i should throw something in my Crockpot. I have this cool little tin full of Crockpot recipes, so after going through it twice and doing a few online searches, i picked out this one : Simply Delicious Pork, and it was all the title promised! Of course, it did not look quite so fancy, but still delicious!

Of course, i had no pork chops in the freezer, so i must brave the rain and walk to the Old City Market to pick up some meat and apples. I had to go out to the library, anyway. It only cost about 6.50 for 2 boneless chops at one of the meat vendors, and about 1.60 for the apples at Baleman's Produce. I held off on my walk as long as i could, as the rain was coming down quite steadily. By 1:00 it was easing, so i pulled out my poor umbrella that has seen better days (i live on a street that can be quite windy) and away i go Uptown. Of course, half way there the skies opened up, but i got some nice rainy day pictures! This one is the main path though the Loyalist Burial Grounds, Uptown. I walk through here daily, it is a gorgeous place.

Not 10 minutes after i got home, the rain stopped (of course). But I threw the chops in the slow cooker. The recipe is as follows. It is supposed to serve 6 people, i cut everything in half and used 2 chops.

1 + 1/2 Lbs boneless pork loin, cut into 6 pieces. OR 6 boneless pork chop loins.
4 medium Golden Delicious Apples, sliced
3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Place pork in Crockpot, cover with apples. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl, sprinkle over apples. Cover; cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.


6 hours was quite sufficient. In fact, it was more like only 5 +1/2 hours, and i had to scoop them out because when i stabbed with a fork, they started to fall apart! I took the bit of the juice that was at the bottom, put it in a pot and then mixed about 1 ts flour with about 1/8 cup cold water and mixed that with the drippings. I whisked it as it heated and thickened and it made a delicious apple flavored gravy.


To go with this, i made some potatoes. All i did to them was wash and slice, i didn't even peel them. I spread some garlic butter in a pan and then sprinkled it with some spice mix (Mrs. Dash). I threw the potatoes in and tossed them around, and then sprinkled on more spice. Then i just baked them at 350 F for about 30 minutes. I give them a mix after about 15 to make sure they are not sticking and so one side does not burn.


So, by the time dinner was cooked, the sun was coming out. Now all i have to do is clean up my extremely messy kitchen and maybe go for another walk to get some groceries!




No comments:

Post a Comment