Followers

Friday, May 13, 2011

Oatmeal Fruit Muffins

I decided today to find another new recipe for muffins. I have been working the super early shift all week and taking breakfast with me to save time (and sleep in). This breakfast has consisted of a half cup of oatmeal and a banana. It is Friday, so I wanted something different. Thus, the search for muffins!

I found this recipe on Cooks.com, I just did a generic Google search for Oatmeal muffins (figuring I best incorporate something I have plenty of), and this was the second I went into. The first only had a quarter cup of oatmeal...not much for a batch of muffins! One of the comments on this recipe stated she had muffins on the table in 20 minutes. I thought this would be the perfect quick recipe I could whip up between getting home from work and making dinner last night. And it was.

Oatmeal Fruit Muffins.

1 cup flour.
1/2 cup sugar.
3 tsp baking powder.
1/2 tsp salt.
1 cup oatmeal.
1/2 cup either raisins, blueberries or nuts.
3 Tbsp oil.
1 egg, beaten.
1 cup milk.
Topping:
2 Tbsp brown sugar.
2 tsp flour.
1 tsp cinnamon.
1 Tbsp butter, melted.


In large bowl, whisk together milk, egg and oil. In another bowl, blend together flour, sugar, salt, powder, and oatmeal.
Pour wet ingredients into dry, stir until just moistened. Fold in berries or nuts. Scoop into 12 prepared muffin cups.
For topping, mix together all four ingredients. Sprinkle over top of muffins.
Bake for 15 minutes at 425 F.




I found the batter to be very wet, but they had no issue baking. Because I discovered a few days ago that my oven bakes hot, I turned it down to about 375 F. They baked nicely in about the 15 minutes allotted. The topping had too much butter in it. I think next time; I will just leave it dry and sprinkle it on. With the butter, it clumped so I ended up just dropping a half teaspoonful of it onto each muffin, so they kind of looked funny.


I had no nuts, and very few raisins, so I used a bag of mixed berries. Some of them were huge, so I microwaved them for 15 seconds to thaw a bit, and then chopped them up. My muffins have strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries in them. Yummy! I also found this recipe to be quite small. It just barely made a dozen medium muffins; so if you need plenty or want large muffins, best double it.

Glad it is almost the weekend again and that this shift is almost over. I am not suited to early mornings. I have realized I have mostly been making sweets lately, so I am going to try for a meal or two over the weekend.



Happy Friday, everyone!!

1 comment: