Followers

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spicy Wine Pot Roast

Today, I am making some banana breads for a friend who plans on selling them for a 'Curl for Cancer' fundraiser she is participating in. So while they are baking, i thought i should get this posted. After Christmas dinner, I had a leftover half bottle of red wine. I am not a wine drinker. I can't stand the taste. I don't want to throw it out, so I have been looking for recipes that i could use it in. I found this one just after Christmas on cooks dot com. I just finally used it last Sunday when I was able to get a pot roast on sale for seven dollars. It was smaller than what the recipe called for, but i figured it would do.

Spicy Wine Pot Roast.


3-4 Lb roast.
1 onion, chopped.
1 pkg brown gravy (clubhouse)
1 cup water.
1/4 cup ketchup.
1/4 cup red wine.
2 tsp mustard.
1 tsp worcestershire sauce.
1/8 ts garlic powder.
salt 7 pepper.

Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Set in crock pot. Combine remaining ingredients, pour over meat. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.


I made a gravy out of some of the drippings, there was a lot; i strained some of them into a smaller pot, then mixed a couple tablespoons of flour with about a quarter cup of water. I poured that into the pot and heated while stirring. It thickened up in no time once it started simmering. I found it tasted a bit funny, a little fruity is the only way to describe it. Maybe because of the wine?


The only change I made was to throw a couple of bay leaves in. I had another recipe that called for them, so i thought it would not be a bad addition. I also omitted the onions because my tester does not like them. As you can see above, I served it with mashed potatoes and peas. Yummy.

The banana breads are starting to smell good! I have a few more recipes to post when I have time, stuff i didn't get posted last year. I am having a hard time believing that January is almost over! Next will be Valentine's day, I have lots of cookies to make for different bake sales and events. Then once March comes, I am planning a baby shower! Before you know it, the miserable weather will be gone and it will be summer again!

We didn't get much snow during last's weeks storm, and since it rained all week, was foggy Monday and Tuesday and extremely warm yesterday, it is gone again. They are calling for a repeat tomorrow, though. Snow and then rain on top of it. Yuck. 

Hope everyone has had a great week, stay toasty!!







No comments:

Post a Comment