Followers

Thursday, January 19, 2012

No-Bake Energy Bites

They are calling for a huge snowstorm tomorrow. Depends on who you ask, it is between 4 and 12 inches, so i decided I needed an energy filled shovelling snack. This is only going to be our third storm this winter, the first was the day after American Thanksgiving, way back in November. The second was about two weeks ago. We've had a few bits of snow here and there, but it has been closely followed by rain or higher temperatures, so it has disappeared!

I found this recipe on Pintrest, it led me to a really nice blog called Smashed Peas and Carrots, what an awesome name for a blog! The best thing about this recipe is that you can easily substitute different things if you have an allergy to one of the ingredients!

No-Bake Energy Bites.



1 cup oatmeal.
1/2 cup peanut butter.
1/3 cup honey.
1 cup coconut.
1/2 cup ground flaxseed.
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
1 tsp vanilla.

Mix all together until well combined. Refrigerate half an hour. Roll into small balls. Store in sealed container, refrigerated, for up to one week.


Last summer I went to a Farmer's Market, the only thing I bought there was this mini jar of honey:


I am not wild about honey, i just thought it was so cute! So I finally found something to do with it aside from sitting in my cupboard. Thee was only about a quarter cup in it, so i added a bit more peanut butter to fill it out.


Smushy honey and peanut butter mess. I also substituted the flaxseed for a finer coconut. I do not have flaxseed in the house, it is quite costly around here, but i think when i make these again I will see if i can get a bit.


I also substituted half the chips for some dried cranberries. I usually use them in my oatmeal, they are delicious! The recipe said you can substitute anything, even another nut butter for the PB and someone in the comments said they used agave nectar instead of honey!


I more or less had to press them together than roll them, but they turned out great! I plan on making these again soon, since they taste delicious and are pretty healthy!

As for the snow, so not looking forward to that. But it is bitter cold here today, and snow means it will warm up a bit. This is a picture I took yesterday of the picnic tables at work. It is not a very good shot, since i took it through my car windshield.


Usually by now it is up to the benches, at the very least! They are calling for quite a bit tomorrow, and more Monday, so soon it will start looking like the winter we are used to. Boo. I miss summer.

Hope everyone is having a great week, it's almost the weekend once again!




2 comments:

  1. I love no-bake anything. These look and sound amazing. Peanut butter, chocolate, and oats. Can't go wrong there.

    We have had very little snow around here too. I'd love to see after pics if you get the snow they say you will!

    ReplyDelete