Followers

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Crispy Chicken Casserole

Whenever i enter a book store, i check out the sale table. The store near my house always has a stack of books for 10 dollars or less, and a certain times of the year a stack for 5 dollars or less. A lot of my cookbooks have come from these tables.  Tuesday night, I was planning on cooking chicken for Wednesday's dinner. I started going through all my cookbooks, finding nothing that i had all the ingredients for. Finally i dug a book off the shelf that is full of quick chicken recipes. I could not find it on Amazon, or anywhere else, so I can not link to the book. Either way, here is the recipe!



Crispy Chicken Casserole. 

1 package onion soup mix.
1+1/2 cups buttermilk.
1 Tbsp flour.
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
fresh ground pepper, to taste.
4 chicken breasts, skin removed.
2 cups frozen vegetables.
1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
1 Tbsp butter.

In a bowl, combine soup mix, buttermilk, flour, garlic and pepper. Mix well. Place the chicken in a lightly greased dish, add the soup mixture. Cover and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Remove the cover and add the vegetables. Mix the breadcrumbs with butter, spread over top. Bake for another 25 minutes, uncovered, or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. If desired, sprinkle with paprika before serving. 


I halved the recipe, only using 2 chicken breasts. They are quite expensive around here, so when I buy a box I do not want to use it all on only one or two recipes. I found it a bit salty, but otherwise great tasting, it is definitely up for a remake.To go with it, I decided to make corn bread muffins, using my new cast iron pan I got last week. 


I used this recipe from last year. They turned out quite nice, although they stuck a bit. I think it was because i tried to remove them from the pan to soon.


A very delicious and filling meal. It has been a beautiful sunny week so far, up until today anyway. Last weekend it was so warm we broke records both days! Monday was Thanksgiving, but since I had to work, we went for lunch Sunday with my parents. I made stuffing and pumpkin pie. The stuffing did not turn out so well, and I forgot the brown sugar in the pies...i guess my mind was not in my kitchen Saturday morning when I was cooking!! But, people still ate the pie, and a few ate the stuffing. 

Hope everyone is having a great week, and I am hoping this rain clears by the weekend!! Have a good week!





1 comment:

  1. I pretty much ONLY buy cookbooks that are on sale. I think the recipes are better in them ;-) (At least cheaper!)

    ReplyDelete