Followers

Sunday, March 13, 2011

M&M Ice Cream Pie

I won a blog draw last week! Moogie over at Moogie & Pap sent me a home made apron, a new cookie & cupcake book, and this huge bag of M&Ms. I honestly do not recall ever seeing one this big before (but my Dad said they are around). My 4 year old nephew K was amazed by the size as well, he has never seen a bag of M&Ms this big.


Since we were visiting Nannie and Grampy this weekend, we decided to share the wealth. We gave Grampy and Auntie Naomi each a sandwich baggie of M&Ms, and Nanny fell in love with the homemade apron, so we passed it onto her. I forgot to get a picture of her in it! Next time.We also thought Sunday afternoon is a great time to spend in the kitchen, so we decided to invent our own recipe and make M&M Ice cream pies!


While we were out getting an ingredient for a potluck this week, we stopped at Dairy Queen and got a container of ice cream. They fill these with the remnants in the machine and sell them for 2.99 each. We made a graham cracker crust from a recipe on the All Recipes website. We put it into 4 mini pie tins and 2 star shaped pie tins.

Graham Cracker Crust


1 +1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs.
1/4 cup sugar.
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted.

Combine and press into pie pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 375 F until browned. Cool completely before filling.


While we waited for them to cool, we played Mario Party 8. Meanwhile, the ice cream sat in the fridge, softening up. We put it into a bowl and mixed in about 3/4 cup of the M&Ms.


And then dumped it into the pre-made crusts.I also drizzled them with chocolate, to make them look a bit fancier :-)


Finally, i threw them into the freezer for an hour while i made a yummy home cooked meal of chicken nuggets and fries. And some boiled carrots...gotta have a veggie! Finally, the time for slicing arrived! Yummy!


This turned out delicious, and it made lots! I think if i do it again, i will make a full sized one. Of course, this only used up a bit of that huge bag of M&Ms...i may have to throw them into the freezer too!

Hope everyone had a good weekend!!

12 comments:

  1. Ooo looks tasty. I have never seen a bag of candy that big in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!! I know my family would go nuts over this. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I think i am going to throw the rest in the freezer so i can have them for Easter baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful family friendly dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ice cream pies are delightful! I love your little star shape pie tin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I'm going to check my local DQ for cartons of soft serve. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to use up those M&Ms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Yum, yum, yum! And congratulations. You're right - that's the HUGEST bag of M&Ms I've ever seen. Lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy! You must be the favorite aunty:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, your nephew looks so cute with that bag of M&M's...
    And the ice cream M&M pies sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! K loves his chocolate, everytime i turned around Sunday, he as in the kitchen reaching for the bag of M&Ms, i eventaully had to hide it!

    ReplyDelete