Followers

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Try something new: Coconut Macaroons.

I like to try new things, a new recipe, a new spice, a twist here, a dash there. So tonight i decided to attempt my favorite cookie of all time: coconut macaroons. I have attempted these before with different recipes, and no success.

So here's the deal: the recipe has 2 ingredients in ounces...and of those, one i bought a a bulk store, and the other is in a can with mL on it. So off to the land of the internet, i discover 14 ounces equals about 1 + 3/4 cup. And 300 mL equals about 10 ounces. Hmm. I only have one can, it is pouring rain out, and i do not want to run to the store to get another can that i will only use half of. So i dive into the recipe anyhow. Here is a picture of the recipe card, taken from a tin of Eagle Brand condensed milk recipes.


Don't they look delicious...i am drooling already. So here is the actual recipe:

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (recommended Eagle Brand)
1 egg white, whipped.
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 + 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 (14 oz) package flaked coconut.

Preheat oven to 325 F. Line baking sheets with foil, grease and flour foil; set aside.

In large bowl, combine milk, egg white, vanilla, and almond extracts and coconut. Mix well. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans, slightly flatten each mound with a spoon.

Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Immediately remove from baking sheets (they will stick if let to cool on sheets). Cool on wire racks. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

This states it makes about 4 dozen cookies.

So this is the concoction in the bowl. I added a lot more coconut because it was very wet, even though i was 4 oz shy of the condensed milk. I must have used between 2 +1/2 and 3 cups.


So after using a Tablespoon instead of a teaspoon to make them (i wanted to get it all on two pans), i stuck them in the oven and re-read the recipe, wondering what i may have done wrong. Well...i missed the word 'whipped' after the egg white. Oops. I suppose that could make a difference because whipped eggs are more solid than non whipped, but i am not sure. I will have to find out next time. I also used store brand condensed milk, but i can not see that as an issue.

So, 15 minutes later, here is the result: 16 big globs on my cookie sheets, attached by milk rings:


Now, i know i did not get the predicted 4 dozen because I used a bigger spoon, but 16 is a far cry from 48. The recipe creator must have made tiny cookies! I am very grateful that i used the tinfoil, even though i sprayed it instead of using the grease & flour method. I think i would never get my cookie sheets clean if i had not covered them. The first pan came off somewhat easily, i only lost one. The second, i almost had to chisel off because they had cooled, I lost 2, but managed to mash them back together. So here is the less than magnificent result:


They might look ugly, but they are delicious!! I will try this one again, i think.

No comments:

Post a Comment