Followers

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Valentine 'Switch' Cookies.

Another foray through Pintrest led me to a blog called Food on Paper and these lovely cookies. I made them as a last minute addition to the bake sale at work last week, and later I was told they sold all but one of my cookies , I was really pleased!

 Valentine 'Switch' Cookies. 



125g unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1+2/3 cups flour
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
Few drops red food colouring
Strawberry essence (optional)

In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla. In another small bowl, combine flour and cornstarch. Slowly add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring well to combine. Divide mixture into three. Add cocoa to one, and red food colour and strawberry essence to another. Wrap and refrigerate minimum 20 minutes. Roll out cookies, cut out centres and switch them. Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes.


I made the dough Wednesday night and rolled it out Thursday morning. My only regret is that it was to cold, i had to knead the balls in order to make them roll well. The recipe stated to dust them with icing sugar, but i skipped that since they were being transported and sold.


I couldn't find strawberry essence, so i just skipped it. The recipe stated a yield of 24, but i only got 18. I made six of each colour and then just switched three of each centre.



I had hoped the red would have stayed a smidgen darker, but they still look great. They were easy, but i had a lot of compliments on the complexity of them!


We got a massive storm yesterday, about 8 inches, and it drifted very high onto my door. I am just taking a break from shovelling, so out I go again!

Hope everyone is having a great pre-Valentine's weekend! I got my gift yesterday, and it is great!! Pictures later! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment