Followers

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Oatmeal Pancakes

Happy Pancake Day, also know as Shrove Tuesday, the last day before Lent, or more commonly known as Mardi Gras! This year once again I decided to try a new recipe. I did a Google search yesterday afternoon and came up with this one from a website called The Pancake Recipe. Can't get much more straightforward than that! I served them with the Strawberry Maple Syrup that I made last night. Yummy!

Oatmeal Pancakes.


3/4 cup oats (quick cooking or normal)
3/4 cup oat flour (put 3/4 cup oatmeal through the food processor)
2 tsp baking powder.
1/2 tsp baking soda.
1/4 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg.
1+1/2 cup milk.

In medium bowl, combine oats, oat flour, powder, soda and spices. Add milk and stir to combine, batter will be lumpy. Using a ladle, pour a bit of batter onto a hot buttered pan. Cook about 90 seconds, or until browned, and then flip, cooking second side until golden brown. Serve with syrup,butter or favourite toppings.


My mini food processor does not work very well, as you can see by this picture. This was after it was in there for about 60 seconds.


Because it didn't quite get the flour consistency, I also added about 2 Tbsp of all purpose, just in case. I also only used 1 cup of milk. The original recipe called for soy milk, i have never used it (and can't afford it), so i don't know if it might have made it thicker or not, but it definitely did not need the extra half cup.


I have to admit, I was a little worried they would not bind and that I would be left with a huge mess on my hands when I tried to flip them, but thankfully they came out quite nicely.


The recipe stated it made six, and that is exactly what i got. Three for breakfast, with a fruit cup and yogourt, and maybe three for lunch. I might save them for tomorrow morning because I'm kinda feeling like hot dogs now.


So, a healthy breakfast, and it was quick to! The strawberry syrup is extremely sweet, I might just add another cup of water to it and boil it down some more. I will let my guinea pig decide when he gets home tonight.

Happy Pancake Day everyone, Good Luck if you are giving anything up for Lent! The Easter season is upon us, which means...it's almost Spring! My Mom saw a Robin over the weekend, which is usually the first sign of Spring around here. It has been a fairly mild Winter with little snow, so I am not surprised they are back early.

Have a good week!

1 comment:

  1. Healthy for sure. I love oatmeal so have to give this a try. Thanks, Natasha!

    ReplyDelete