Followers

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sweet-Spiced Sweet Potatoes

What a day! It was a rainy windy day, but it was a great day! I got a couple pictures of an old tree that fell due to the wind, in the Old Burial Grounds. It is sad to see the old tree down, the trees make the graveyard such a nice place to visit in the summer; a shady place to rest from the heat.


So what made it a great day, even though the weather was miserable and it was sad to see the wise old tree go? Well...Hockey! Not just hockey, though, everything that comes with it. I went with my family; my sister, brother-in-law and my nephew. And K lost his first baby tooth at the game! (Omen of things to come for my hockey loving little man?) Only 4 years old, and a visit from the tooth fairy already. His mommy and I were in first grade when we lost our first teeth! Also, the Seadogs won!!! It was a 2 - 0 shutout, and both goals were scored in the 3rd period! What a crazy game!

So before the game, they all came over for dinner (and Wii Mario), we had chicken, a 'sidekick' and a delicious new dish in my Crockpot, Sweet-Spiced Sweet potatoes; from my tin of Crockpot recipes.


2 Lbs sweet potatoes; peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar.
1 tsp ground cinnamon.
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg.
1/8 tsp salt.
2 Tbsp butter, cut into 1/8 inch pieces.
1 tsp vanilla.

Combine all ingredients except butter and vanilla in Crockpot.; Mix well. Cover; cook on LOW 7 hours or HIGH 4 hours, Add butter and vanilla; gently stir to blend.


It looks kind of nasty, and the Crockpot is soaking overnight, (i think i overcooked or stirred it)  but it was SUPER good. I will definitely be making this one again and again. It smelled and tasted like molasses cookies or gingersnaps. Oh, i omitted the salt and used margarine instead of butter, about 2 tsp.  And the chicken turned out well to. I just threw him in the other Crockpot, sprinkled some garlic powder on him, capped it and he was good to go after being on HIGH for about 4 hours. 



What a great day, and i get to do it all again tomorrow!! Another game tomorrow night! LET'S GO, SEADOGS, LET'S GO!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment