Followers

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Apple Crumble Bars

Wow, what a couple of busy weeks it has been...and I didn't even realize it until I saw I still had pictures from Halloween still on my camera! I actually made this recipe last Saturday, while a batch of sugar cookies were cooling so I could decorate them. I found this recipe on Pintrest, and the pin led me to a blog called Annie's Eats. I love this blog and plan on delving further into its depths as soon as time allows.  This is a good Autumn recipe, i picked it because i had a half dozen apples that needed to be used up.

Apple Crumble Bars


Base:
1+1/3 cups flour.
2 Tbsp sugar.
1 tsp salt
1 stick butter.

In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse oatmeal. Press into 9" pan. Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 350 F.

Filling:


4 medium apples, peeled, cored, chopped.
5 Tbsp sugar.
1/4 tsp cinnamon.
2 tsp cornstarch.
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup fruit jam.

Combine apples, sugar and cinnamon in pan. Cook 5 to 7 minutes on medium heat until apples are tender. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and cornstarch. Add to apples and stir over heat for about 3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
Spread jam over hot bottom layer. Pour apple mixture over top of jam.

Topping:


1/4 cup flour.
3 Tbsp sugar.
4 Tbsp butter, softened.

Combine all three ingredients. Sprinkle over top of filling. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 F. Cool before cutting.



I love how the layers came together so nicely. The recipe suggested using peach jam, but all i had was raspberry,  blackberry and this lovely bottle of red apple jelly, so this is what I used.


My Mom's red apple jelly, it is such a pretty colour when the sun hits it. Which is probably why it is one of her most popular flavours everywhere that it is sold.


I was extreme multi-tasking at this point, so it did come together a bit messily, but it was a very easy to make. This would be a great beginner recipe to show off with. The bottom is a simple shortbread and the filling took only a few minutes to come together.


I used 6 apples for the filling. I thought it was going to be too much, which is why i used such a big pot, but once the apples starting breaking down some the pot seemed much to large!


The only change i would make is a bit more sugar in the filling, but that is because i used an apple that was a bit sour. Otherwise, this is a great recipe that I plan on making again!

So another week is halfway gone, and it is only about 6 weeks until Christmas! I have my list of recipes that have to be made for the holiday posted on my black board in my kitchen...now just to get the time to make them!

Hope everyone is having a great week!




2 comments: