Followers

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Italian Meatball Biscuit Bake

Oh, what a busy month it has been. I can't believe it is almost half over already! I have been cooking and baking, and crafting as well. I've got all the pictures taken and just need to find the time to post it all. Some I have to wait until after the 25th, because i made something special for my sister's baby shower, and she follows my blog. Don't want to give away the secret to soon!!

This is a recipe I found on Pintrest a couple weeks ago, it led me to the Pillsbury website. Now, because it is a Pillsbury recipe, it is made with Pillsbury products. I mixed it up a bit and instead of buying the individual elements, I made them.

Italian Meatball Biscuit Bake.



8 frozen cooked Italian-style meatballs, 1 inch size.
2 Pillsbury® Grands!® frozen buttermilk or southern style biscuits.
1 cup frozen bell pepper and onion stir-fry vegetables.
1/2 cup tomato pasta sauce.
1 Tbsp sliced ripe olives.
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.

Thaw meatballs completely and biscuits slightly in microwave. Cut each biscuit in quarters. Place in medium bowl with meatballs, green pepper, onion and olives. Add pasta sauce, toss to coat. Spoon into casserole dish, making sure everything is evenly distributed. Bake uncovered at 375 F  30 to 35 minutes, until biscuits are no longer doughy. Sprinkle with cheese, bake another few minutes until cheese is melted. 


It looks kind of funky, but it was really quite good. I spent about an hour in the kitchen making the meatballs and biscuits, but if you used the frozen stuff it would take no time at all to throw this together. 


I think i should have used a smaller dish. It burnt a bit around the edges; i mixed it all in the dish (saves dishes), and attempted to scrape it a bit, but as you can see it didn't quite work. It only makes enough for two, but I think this recipe could easily be expanded to make enough for a family sized meal or pot-luck. 


For the meatballs, i just used plain hamburger with some Italian spice sprinkled in. I cooked them in a pan and let them cool. For the biscuits, i used This Recipe, i cut two large ones and then the rest regular sized.


I stuck them in the freezer for about half an hour, since it said to only slightly thaw them, i figured it might be part of the magic. 

I was really expecting the biscuits in this recipe to be very soggy; mixing biscuits with sauce usually produces that result. But, they were still fluffy and delicious. Even sticking it in the fridge for two days didn't cause them to absorb the sauce and make them soggy; I made this on a Saturday and took the leftovers for lunch Monday. 

I think this will make a quick go-to recipe if i had the ingredients on hand. I usually don't purchase the pre-made meatballs and biscuits, nor the pre-cut veggies, they just cost to much. I took the time to make it all because it was storming and I had nothing better to do (I also made chocolate chip cookies that afternoon). So, i think the next time we have a stormy afternoon and I am bored, this recipe may come out again. 

Hope everyone is having a good week, it has been absolutely beautiful here; be broke a temperature record yesterday!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment