Followers

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Upside down Deep Dish Pizza

Last summer, i found this recipe as a side bar advertisement in a magazine. It is not neatly cut out, so i am pretty sure this is the one i ripped out of a magazine while sitting in a doctor's or dentist's office. I am usually good, but this looked so easy and delicious, i just had to be bad and take it.

I first made it last year on Halloween, I had lots of company coming for dinner, along with Trick-or-Treaters, i wanted something quick but new. It was as good as the picture looked, and really filling! This is the picture of the recipe, at home on the refrigerator with my Seadogs Banner magnet.


1 Lb ground beef.
1 Jar Ragu Old World Style Sweet Tomato Basil Smooth pasta sauce.
1 package (10oz) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and squeezed dry (optional).
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese.
1 can (11oz) refrigerated pizza dough.

Brown ground beef in large skillet; drain. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in sauce; bring to a boil. Turn into 2 quart baking dish.

Top with broccoli, then cheese. Press dough over dish, sealing edges.

Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden. Let stand 10 minutes,



I used the proper brand of sauce, but not the proper flavour, so i just threw in some mixed spice and some garlic powder. I also did not use the broccoli. Honestly, i did not even know it was something you could get frozen. I prefer broccoli raw or steamed...to have to thaw and squeeze it out just kinda sounded nasty, so since it said optional, i skipped it both times that i made this.

I found when the sauce was added, it looked like the poor hamburger was swimming. I usually buy burger in family packs and divide it into 4 or 5, so maybe i did not quite have a full pound. Either way, the dough soaked a lot of the sauce up, so it was not so soupy coming out.

This is fast, easy, and super delicious. The recipe states it serves 4, I cut it into 6 easily, and served with Caesar salad. I had to use the square pan, because my pie plate really did not look like it would fit everything in to it.


But it was great! I recommend this to anyone who has to drive 3 kids 4 ways to 5 different after school activities, and still wants to be able to put a good meal on the table!  As the ad said:

No comments:

Post a Comment